t2 prostheses work with adhesives because they are
· Soft and flexible, they squish and bend easily. The internal parts move individually in the lubricated skin, allowing you to move freely without pushing against the glue bond.
· Attached with the u-plate designed for air circulation (cooling and evaporation), and for the prosthesis to shift without pushing the attachment plate from your body.
· Made from professional medical use silicones: no oily additives (oil stops the bond)
The adhesive bond is effected by
Sweat (Even if advertised as “not effected by perspiration”, sweat does affect the glue bond.)
Oil from the skin or from creams
Current pH level of the skin
Water though, does not lessen the glue bond - swimming is no problem at all.
Note: If your skin is wet or damp when you apply the prosthesis, it will not adhere to the skin. In the case of high humidity or sweating – be certain to wipe the sky dry before applying the prosthesis, and check for proper adhesion a few minutes later as you may need to re-apply.
Some people cannot use adhesives
Medical adhesives work very well for most, but not for everyone. When in contact with some peoples skin, medical adhesive becomes “gooey“, and no longer “tacky“. The gooey substance cannot hold the prosthesis and leaves a residue on prosthesis and skin.
See terms and conditions for t2 prosthetics Adhesive
For other ways to attach your prosthesis see Attachment Methods.
Walker Extreme Hold
Sold online through wig shops
Thin version: Walker Liqui Tape
Hollister Medical Adhesive 7730
Sold online or through pharmacists
Changes to product, it is now called “Adapt Hollister Medical Adhesive 7730”. Some people have reported the new version works well, others that it’s not as well as the previous version.
Secure Medical Adhesives - ‘Thick’ from factor2
Sold online at factor2.com
They have several product names depending on size and concentration. Thick versions are called BT -4xx, and thin versions are called B-4xx.
you choose the Secure Brand, or Walker Extreme Hold, a few tips
1. Keep the bottles closed tight to avoid evaporation.
Purchase the “thin” version as well. When the glue becomes too thick to easily
and evenly spread over the plates, add some of the “thin” to the
“thick” to dilute it.
3. For easy opening, wipe a very thin layer of Vaseline (petroleum jelly) around the threads of the bottles. (Contact with oils and grease lessen the effect of the glue. Be sure to never get any Vaseline on the bottles or on the brushes.)
Solvent / Adhesive Remover
Soap, warm water and a bit of rubbing work best to remove adhesive residue from the skin and hair.
remove the adhesive build up from the prosthesis plate, you can simply cut it
off with scissors when it becomes thick.
Some people have found that these products work well
Pro Bond Solvent (B-608-1 from Factor2.com)
Hollister Adhesive Remover 7731